Above, all together & ready for a test drive...below is how it began---
Here's one from a recent flea market. I'm not really a fan of Heathkits but the price was right and it looked as though it had hope. I should back up a bit and tell you more. Bill Duffy, KA0VXK, the gentleman at the table next to mine at the Pioneer ARC in North Bend Ne. saw all my old stuff and asked if I like to work on the vintage stuff & if I may be interested in an old Heathkit HW 100. He had it in his vehicle but I guess he never got around to bringing it in the flea market.
I told him I'd think about it as I was more of a Hallicrafters guy...but I did just repair a Heathkit SB 101 for another guy & that was fresh in my memory...Maybe this HW 100 was similar.
So one thing led to another and we made a deal. He said he seemed to think that he had some literature on a computer at home and offered to e-mail them to me. By the end of the day, I had them via e-mail! Great guy, Thanks Bill !!!
Later in the weekend, I had a chance to open it up. It's been sitting around for a while & was going to need a good cleaning. The radio used rubber belts or O-rings to turn the tune-up caps, and they were broken. Other than that, it looked complete. The power supply I got with the radio will be a project itself. It's been heavily modified and needs some attention before I use it. I do have another Heathkit power supply that I use on my Hallicrafters SR 150 so I can at least get started with this repair. Also, the cord that I got with the rig from the rig to the supply had the incorrect socket so I had to solder the correct 11 pin on it. There's a pic below showing how I "sleeve" the pins inside the cover. I've seen a lot of failures under the covers on these sockets due to frayed, aged wires and poor soldering. With the voltages these wires carry, it pays to be careful!
Inside, the circuit boards look nearly identical to the SB 101 I had just worked on. I guess the HW series is the more "economical" version of the SB's. I can tell by the different VFO, fewer meter functions, simpler face lay-out, thinner dial, and various other changes. That said, you know, I prefer the looks of the HW series over the SB's. I think it's the "sharper" squared-up corners on the cover that appeal to me rather than the smooth rounded edges of the SB's. I must admit the SB's covers seem to be a bit heavier than the HW's too.
So after a bit of snooping around it was time to look for signs of life...it powered up, no smoke, no flames, no surprises, so time to clean!
Below are some pics of the inside, broken belts, and look at the lables on some of the wiring underneath...Neat! On the right, you'll see how I "sleeve" the socket pins.
Now to clean tubes, reassemble, and tune up a bit. I thought I'd just leave the covers alone even though they could use a good scrubbing. There was one big scratch on the top I didn't like but I could live with it. I began to scrub the covers down and thought I was getting a lot done, but began to notice a change in the shade of paint. I dried an area only to discover that my scrubbing was removing the top layer of paint.... including the texture! (Sigh...) So I guess I'll be repainting the covers after all. I've been wanting to try the textured spray paint so now I'll have the chance.
In my spare time, at dusk when it began cooling off outside, I sanded down the covers. I checked around town for paint stores that could match the color but then I would need to buy a special aerosol can & jar set to paint it. Hmmm...I took the bottom cover into a hardware store & began to search the spray paint isle. I found a Krylon Deep Green with a "hammertone" texture to it that I thought looked rather close. Come to find out, Heathkit had about five different shades of green anyway, so this was close enough for me. I picked up some rubber corks too so that I could make some feet for the rig...
I cut the rear feet down & drilled holes through for the bolts.
I must say, the color was much closer than I expected, and the texture was more similar to original than the paint can lid would lead you to believe! I put the top cover on & was quite impressed.
I had to move a few things around in the shack to make room for the HW 100 but I managed. We'll be testing it out for a while and tweek things up as we go...